The QR (quick response) bar code was originally created by the Japanese company Denso-Wave to keep track of inventory in the manufacturing of Toyotas. However, because QR codes allow for more data than the standard 10-digit bar code, and because scanning requires less effort than typing a URL, they have become popular in pushing out information.
Anyone with a smart phone can scan and read QR codes with the click of a camera, and anyone with access to a computer can generate a QR code. By scanning the codes, you can access images, websites and text. By creating the codes, you can produce your own messages. You can even change the color to your corporate identity.
Generating Your QR Code
If you have a smart phone, go to the app store and search for a QR code reader. There are several free apps. Open the app and then hold your phone’s camera over a QR code to read it. Most codes will take you to a URL. There are a few code generating sites where you can generate a free code such as: http://qrcode.kaywa.com/
Some Ways To Use a QR Code to Generate Business
• direct customers or prospects to a landing page on your site
• use the QR code to generate a free “offer” or coupon
• place it on your business card so someone can easily download all of your contact info into their cell phone
• direct customers to a you tube video
• link to a powerpoint presentation
• generate a QR code next to every product on your web site which could contain all the product details, the number to call and the URL
• or you don’t have to get fancy at all and use it as on a sandwich board on Newbury St. in Boston. (see image below)
Search Engines and QR Codes
If you add a QR code to your website, the search engines will see that your pages have changed, and that you are updating pages. The search engine will see a new image and index it accordingly. Eventually, the search engines will be able to recognize QR codes and index the content in them.
One thing is certain: QR codes will certainly open the door for conversation and maybe even a potential sale.